Title

Are you sure?

Forum Neighbour's dog is pregnant .... (7)

Neighbour's dog is pregnant .... (7)

Lilia 
Quote | 8 years ago

A neighbour of mine who I sometimes take walks with in winter (she has a female Bichon Frisee ‚Feli’ who is as old as Molly, 2 years 8 months, Molly and Feli are quite happy with each other) is a successful accoucheuse (midwife) and runs her own small birthing centre – but does not know much about dogs. In her profession she is a bit on the alternative side, swears by Shamanic practices and deeply mistrusts mainstream medicine and MDs in general. Ok, that’s her own business. BUT: In spite of my warnings Feli was mated by a Maltese (‚A female dog should have a litter once in her life!’ is her opinion ) while her owner was on vacation in Peru (her housemaid managed the mating on October 31). Neither does my neighbour know the family of the Maltese nor does she really know if Feli is pregnant (‚her nipples have grown’, that’s what she found out).

She strictly rejects to see the vet with Feli, but is ready to ‚take the things as they come’ without preparing a lot for the delivery nor for the time after, with the puppies.

What I certainly will do is to hand her out the package of information which I have found on the internet with my best recommendations.

Now I ask myself: Do I worry too much – as my neighbour is a midwife by profession? What does a person have to observe by all means if a dog gives birth?

Quote | 8 years ago

Oh dear My friend is very much the same but she has a male Bichon Frise which she wants to use as a stud and she's doing it for the money! Even though her dog is very badly behaved- nipping, humping and completely untrained. But again, it's her business.

Well done for trying to help. I don't know much about the birth, but is she planning to take the puppies to the vets for their shots? I think you better stress this to her as it is very important. Also, prospective owners normally want a health check carried out by the vet. I think trips to the vet are unavoidable during and after the pregnancy if she wants to be sure everything is going right.

Debby 
Quote | 8 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear this... it sounds like an extremely irresponsible approach to breeding. Has she even started looking for homes for the puppies? What about the necessary worming schedule / vitamins that are required during pregnancy? What about a whelping box / heat lamp / puppy pads / all the other equipment? What if the female requires a cesarean? I presume she has a vet? But from the sounds of things she probably hasn't gone for an ultrasound yet... it's not totally necessary but can give a good idea of how many pups to expect. The pups (and lactating mother) will require 4-5x the regular amount of food - of course, the mother should be eating puppy food already to give her the higher protein level that she requires... but maybe your neighbor doesn't know that either.

Of course, pups will require a regular de-worming schedule (starting at the age of 2 weeks) because 99% of pups are born with worms and, if they aren't properly de-wormed, a heavy parasitic infestation can cause SERIOUS health problems, including blindness, etc. And then, at 8 weeks, just before the pups go to their new homes, they will need their first set of vaccinations to protect against deadly diseases (such as parvo, etc). I presume both the Bichon and the Maltese have pedigrees? It shouldn't be too hard to find homes for the pups... even if they are crossbred mutts, provided the parents have good bloodlines. I guess they haven't undergone any health testing, which is a bit ridiculous but hopefully they will be clear of genetic diseases that are common to their respective breeds. The important thing is that she starts looking for good homes for the puppies ASAP - If she leaves it until the last minute they will probably just end up at the animal shelter and euthanized.

Quote | 8 years ago

great! another litter of puppies to add to a world with shelters bursting at the seems with homeless dogs!

and if she is into all that 'Shamanic' stuff, as you put it, then will she get the pups vaccinated? if not then i find that totally irresponsible! I have met an owner who did that before and the whole litter got parvo and died. and that put the whole neighbourhood at risk!

Lilia 
Quote | 8 years ago

Thank you for your competent - and compassionate! - statements. It is exactly the way I feel about the whole matter. What I am doing next is to translate everything you wrote into a kind of 'manual' for her. What irritates me most is that she has denied so far to see a vet - although I fervently recommended her several veterinarians who practice alternative VetMed in town. But - for the sake of Feli's and her pups' well-being - I'll convince her otherwise, as true as I am sitting here.

I keep you informed.

Thank you.

Lilia

Debby 
Quote | 8 years ago

No problem.
As ever, education is the key... some people are just stubborn and THINK they know best. As she is a midwife, she probably thinks that dogs can handle the whole pregnancy / birthing process without any additional input / help from humans, but this is not necessarily the case. To be a successful breeder, you have to do things properly - after all, you are responsible for the lives you bring into this world! So it's quite important to be involved with the whole process and to give proper care throughout, for both the mother and her pups. And the future puppy owners will appreciate it too - healthy, well-socialized pups that have been given the best possible start to life.

Lilia 
Quote | 8 years ago

Thank goodness my neighbour's dog is NOT pregnant , but pseudopregnant as the vet had told her who she at least consulted.

Nevertheless, it is still her unshakeable opinion that every bitch should have babies at least once in her life. I am afraid her profession has more or less clouded her sight on reality of life. I think it will cost me numerous walks with her to change her mind to have her dog neutered or at least be careful not to have her mated ....

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now