Title

Are you sure?

Forum Bald Patches/Flaky Skin?? (11)

Bald Patches/Flaky Skin?? (11)

Stacey 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Hi all, recently i have noticed deejay has about 4/5 bald patches where the skin looks really dry n flaky n i dont know whats the best way to treat this is?? i wanted to try a home rememdy before takin him to the vets as the spots dont bother him, he doesnt scratch them or anything. he recently had a scuffle and was put on antibiotics for 3 days so we thought it may be a side efffect from that but another one appeared the other day? so does anyone have any ideas how to treat this or what it could be, i know the vets is prob a good idea but i dont want to keep pumpin my puppy with medication whilst he is still so young, maybe thats wrong but until the problem becomes worse or irratates him, i want to try and help him myself with possible cures that dont involve man-made medication. thanks

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Is it maybe something in his diet? Maybe it´s an allergic reaction to something. If more spots appear, you will have to take him to the vet Explain your worry about giving the puppy too much medication, maybe your vet can prescribe an alternative

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Hi Kooks. My Italian Spinoni Enzo began to get bald patches on his flanks last year and the Vet diagnosed ´Seasonal Flank Alopecia´ there was no treatment and he said it would grow back and sure enough it is. However Enzo didn´t have the dry flaky skin with it, just bald. If you wanted to try some home treatment you couldn´t go far wrong with Aloe Vera in a Gel form but make sure its good quality.

Stacey 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

he is still on dry puppy food which i soak wit cooled boiled water, and i havent changed his food brand since i got him. he doesnt have too many treats and again, ive kept him on the same brand the breeder had him on from when he was born. i will montior him over the next week and if they get worse or more appear, i will take him to the vets. thank you. i just read a post about doggy dandruff? i didnt realise dogs could get that? wow, i have sooo much to learn...

edited by

my gsd,jessa has that. hers is hotspots. we really went to the vet since we were worried. of course we kept her in the house for two weeks and with medicatiions given by the vet. bring your dog to the vet to make sure

Anna 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hi all, recently i have noticed deejay has about 4/5 bald patches where the skin looks really dry n flaky n i dont know whats the best way to treat this is?? i wanted to try a home rememdy before takin him to the vets as the spots dont bother him, he doesnt scratch them or anything. he recently had a scuffle and was put on antibiotics for 3 days so we thought it may be a side efffect from that but another one appeared the other day? so does anyone have any ideas how to treat this or what it could be, i know the vets is prob a good idea but i dont want to keep pumpin my puppy with medication whilst he is still so young, maybe thats wrong but until the problem becomes worse or irratates him, i want to try and help him myself with possible cures that dont involve man-made medication. thanks

Try flax seed oil, also great for a shiney coat. My chockie lab looked like a lamington and now she has a beautiful coat, doesnt scratch and has not more flakes. 2 tablets every morning

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

It may also be cause by mites.... do the bald patches kind of smell bad? You should take ur pup in for a skin scraping so the vet can see if their are any mites irritating your pooch... if left un-treated it can be pretty bad.

kaye 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Peachy has that a few mos. ago... i don´t know what its cause but i shampooed her with herbal shampoo then... now, as you can see her in new pix, her fur is back to the normal and doesn´t have any fleas...

Rol 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by
Rol 

I hate to scare you Kooks, but you really should have the vet take a look. There is something called "puppy mange", which is, you guessed it, common in puppies. It is not serious, but must be treated. Basher had a mild case and after a couple of weeks, it cleared up. We had a salve to put on the spots, no other meds.

an online description:
Demodectic mange (also known as red mange, follicular mange, or puppy mange) is a skin disease, generally of young dogs, caused by the mite, Demodex canis. It may surprise you to know that demodectic mites of various species live on the bodies of virtually every adult dog and most human beings, without causing any harm or irritation. These small (0.25 mm) ´alligator-like´ mites live inside of the hair follicles (i.e., the pore within the skin through which the hair shaft comes through), hence the name follicular mange. In humans, the mites usually are found in the skin, eyelids, and the creases of the nose.
What are the signs of demodectic mange?

Individuals that are sensitive to the mange mites may develop a few (less than 5) isolated lesions (localized mange) or they may have generalized mange, in which case, there are more than 5 lesions involving the entire body or region of the body. Most lesions in either form develop after four months of age.

SYMPTOMS

The lesions and signs of demodectic mange usually involve hair loss, crusty, red skin and at times, a greasy or moist appearance. The mites prefer to live in the hair follicles, so in most cases, hair loss is the first noted sign. Usually, hair loss begins around the muzzle, eyes, and other areas on the head. In localized mange, a few circular crusty areas will be noted, most frequently around the muzzle. Most of these lesions will self heal as the puppies become older and develop their own immunity. Persistent lesions will need treatment that will be described later. In cases in which the whole body is involved (generalized mange), there will be areas of hair loss over the entire coat, including the head, neck, abdomen, legs, and feet. The skin along the head, side, and back will be crusty and oftentimes inflamed. It will often crack and ooze a clear fluid. Hair will be scant, but the skin itself will often be oily to the touch. Some animals can become quite ill and develop a fever, lose their appetite, and become lethargic. Patients with generalized demodectic mange need immediate vigorous treatment.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

It could be mange...allergic reaction to food or a fungal infecton. Until it gets diagnosed we don´t know what´s causing the bald patches. Pls bring your dog to the vet.I hope it gets cured soon.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I know my dog got the same thing when she was a puppy, the only difference is it was one big spot. But she lost her hair in that area, and it also produced a scab which wouldn´t go away. I thought it was manage as well, but it didn´t have a smell or anything. So I decided I would try something at home first before taking her to the vet. I actually used Aloe Vera Right off the plant. I broke a piece off, peeled the layer off and rubbed the inside that was moist on her sore. I did this for a week and it went away and has never been seen again! I don´t know what it was but that aloe vera off the plant worked great!!

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now