Title

Are you sure?

Forum My Dog just had puppies but won´t eat (12)

My Dog just had puppies but won´t eat (12)

Maria  
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I know i should really ask my vet about this but as we had a bit of a falling out and i´m in search for a new one i thought i´d get some opinions first

During the last weeks of pregnancy my dog refused to eat dry food - but once mixed with canned she would scoff it all down.

She had her puppies yesterday and her appetite is not like before. She still refuses the dry food by the way.
Is this normal? will she go back to eating her dry food or have i spoilt her??

Also i´ve heard that dogs should take calcium supplements after birth (something my vet did not even bother to mention)

Just want an opinion on this matter...thanx

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Just give what she wants for now. You don´t want her to become run down with the puppies.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

nothing to worry about her appetite will return to normal..oldwoman is correct just give what she likes to eat.give calcium to your dog and also multivitamins..congratulations for having a new puppies to pet..

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

give her what she wants because a lactating mom is a hungry mom

JONG 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by
JONG 

For now, it is best to give her what she wants to eat (dryfood mixed with Canned dogfood). I do hope you find a new vet that you trust. It is always best to get a vets opinion. Calcium supplement should have been given to her at the start of pregnancy so the puppies would develop stronger bones. She still needs calcium right now. Multivitamins is good for her now. Be sure to get a new vet coz you would need a sound advice regarding what is good for the puppies and their Mama.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

When Millie had her pups 3 months ago-our breeder gave us 2 tubes of stuff, witch I have given back as we didn´t need to use them.. Wish I could remember the names. But one was a calcium supplement, and we also fed Millie good hard cheese and tums and a bit of milk each day. When a dogs calium levels go down they become week in the back end and hard to move around and if that happens it´s vet time right away. My g/f´s dog had this problem and she just about lost her dog. Maybe look up on the net about calium for dogs plus the other was a food inhancer, just a wee bit and it would increase her eating.
Millie slowed down on her eating after the pups were born but only for a short time. We fed Millie a good puppy food from 2 weeks before the pups were born until the pups were done nursing. Then back to normal.But man oh man I gone through alot of dog food getting these pups ready to go. All were healthy and happy.

Maria  
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

ok guys thank you very much for the info.

She actually won´t budge from her babies so i kinda have to feed her while she´s milking them, it´s like shes become a baby too!

but at least she´s eating! + i sorted things out with the vet...and i got her the calcium so everything is back to normal!

thank you for the help!

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Hi Glad things are better now, I know how hard it is to find a vet you can trust, I have had the same vet for 9 years and we just moved so now it´s time for a new one (. I am glad she is eating! Is this I take it her first litter? As a first litter moms don´t like to leave them. If you have more litters she will get better at leaving them . Be sure to post us some pictures of her and the puppies, if you have already I will run check. Just love those new puppies and the happy moms

Maria  
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

well like i said she won´t eat by herself i have to do it while she´s with them but as long as she´s eating i don´t mind doing it!! if only she would take the calcium without torturing me..now that would save me a lot of trouble!!

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

give a kind of calcium that is specially formulated for dogs. because some calcium may harm your dog. in giving vits to your dog, be creative. you may put it inside a piece of cooked liver or if it is liquid form you may use a syringe or dropper to orally administer. good luck buddy!

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

muffins pups are 16 days old now ...I keep her bowl in with her and the pups for now and she often eats while feeding the pups... always have water in with her also... i feed her good quality puppy food and mix it once per day with raw egg (mixed in ) or Tuna with the brine juice. Muff also gets tidbits of cheese ... I alternate each day of what she gets. She is now leaving her pups to relieve herself 3 times per day and sits with me away from the pups approx 2 hours per day... gives her a break and unwind.This break is normal and will increase as the pups get older till she weans them.

We started muff on the puppy food a month before she became pregnant ...found she is alot better with her calcium this time round.
If we need to will be adding special puppy milk later in a few weeks.

Havent had to add any other calcium this time as such .

Good luck with those adorable puppies

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Muff did stop eating 1 week before she gave birth only ate tidbits and the day she had them refused to eat ...but that is normal from what i understand on the doggie way of things!

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now