Title

Are you sure?

Forum When Do You change From Puppy Food To Adult Food? (24)

When Do You change From Puppy Food To Adult Food? (24)

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I Have A Almost Year Old (Year Old 18th Jan 08) Staffordshire Bull Terrier Girl Called Sandy And I Am Currently Feeding Her Pedagree Puppy Pouch Food! But She HAs BEgan To Stop Eating So I Am Going To Try Some Other Food And Dont Know Whether To Get Puppy Or Adult???

many thanks

xxtaraxx

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

adult! deff!
you should start feeding adult at 12 months as they are fully growin!
Katt,Chaplin FDX AD & Volt

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Would take his size and weight in consideration before deciding. What size should the breed become and what is his size now. The puppy food has more energy, proteins and other necessary stuff to make a healthy well grown adult dog. My Franco was just one year old and we still give hm puppy food, but changed to a puppy food with les energy. Puppy food can be given up to 18 months of age. Because they can still become bigger and build more muscle mass. The American bulldog grows until they are about 18-20 moths and build muscles and bone structure to 36 moths. Investigate a bit on your breed and you will find out what you need to know. Hope this helps.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

you could start feeding your dog on their 1 year. if it doest not eat the usual food i suggest to try Hi-Pro or Beef Pro this give a more mineral to him for the development of bone, coat.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

You could switch to an all stages dog food too. My dogs are on an all stages dog food called Natural Balance.

emjey 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

i have a 1 year old pomeranian, she just had her first bday last jan.. but im still feeding her a royal canin mini junior..

lynda 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I used to feed our laddy junior food (dry) from 5 months but in the last few weeks he would not eat any junior food so we tryed adult & he has started eating his food I would try your dog on junior first to see how that works hope it helps

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Tiny dogs reach their full potential at 10-12 months and should be switched to an adult food to prevent obesity and too much protein and fats in their diets. Large dogs can go til about a year to 16 months on a puppy food for large breeds, as long as they are not gaining too much weight. The giant breeds (ie Great Danes) usually stay on large breed puppy food for a year and a half to two years...the large breed foods have a special balance of fat and protein the maintain a slow and steady growth rate to prevent bone and hip problems as an adult. Anytime you change foods (different formula or different brand) you should do it gradually or 10 days or so to give your dog a chance to adjust...some dogs have no problems with a sudden change but most will experience diarrhea or soft stools.

edited by

it has been my problem with my twinky winky, adult pellets like pedigree and alpo makes her face ...LoL... so i stick her dog food to alpo-puppy...coz it has milk essentials...but i´m giving her also the pedigree´s denta-stick...she loves the flavor of it..and also the bacon strips by purina... so that she can´t get used to only one kind of food..

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

My tibetan mastiff will be getting puppy food till he is 2 years old. Large breeds need to grow for a longer time than the others.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Twinky....puppy food is not good for her long term. If she makes a face it´s because puppy food to an adult is like McDonalds food...yummy but too much fat! If she makes a face...be strong...she will eat eventually! If she doesnt eat what you put down in 20 minutes take it away and try again next mealtime. She will not starve herself..you need to be strong and do what is best for her in the long term, not necessarily just what makes her happy today! It is up to you as her human to feed her a proper diet, she relies on you to make her decisions.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

you should try weening her onto adult now, try a small bit of adult wit the puppy mix then gradually day by day add more adult less puppy. staffs are fussy eaters anyway but if you change too quick they get sick as it is too strong and they arent used to it. i feed mine mainly dry and it was easier to measure .

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

staffs arent fully grown till they 18 months (ish)

Laura 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I feed my 2+yr old APBT female,cooked red meat as her main staple (poultry once in a while)and about 1 cup of puppy kibble a day. She is free fed so she picks and chooses how much she wants to eat. But she usually eats the equivilant amount each day. My vet just weighed her last month when she went for her annual, and he said my APBT was outstanding and was the exact sz she should be.So in my opinion what to feed your dog at a certain time in their life, you have to consider many factors including, physical activity , breed ect. My APT currently has a litter of 12 and they too are being raised on cooked red meat ( I think it´s the healthy choice for their all round health) and haven´t even been introduced to kibbble. A healthy dog is a happy dog & owner.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Is it wrong to mix puppy food and adult food?

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

It is not wrong, but be careful about fat content and obesity in your dog.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

i found it better doing this as it wouldnt be as harsh on the dogs stomach, a quick change in a dogs diet can mess up their digestion and they get diarroea and vomiting. during the change over i always tried to get my dogs to be more active as they would burn up all the extra fat , when theres both kinds of food theres more levels of nutrients and callories so they need to burn these off. i also fed them less each meal but more meals during the day.

edited by

hi there hooplady, thanks very much for the advice and concern..i´ll change her puppy pellets to adult food...i will... and thanks for the inf o..i know it´s for the better

Dyan 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

For my GSDs and Lab, my vet has advised me to change puppy food to adult when they turn 2 years

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

After one year old they become adults so I would go for the adult food. Puppy food would be too rich for them now, she´d become fatty!

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now