Title

¿Estás seguro?

Foro Agility - Contact Trouble (14)

Agility - Contact Trouble (14)

El debate está cerrado
| Hace 9 años
editado por

I have been doing agility with my first dog for about 6 years now, and my 2nd for a year and a half. When my 2nd dog started, he had really good contacts, but as he has gotten more confident, he has gotten cocky and jumps off them without touching. He does them fine at training, but as soon as I get in the ring, it´s a different story. We do the 2 on 2 off method. Any ideas on how to beat this little trick of his?

| Hace 9 años
editado por

well do you let him get away with it at shows??? If so don´t! Do you let off any vibes like your worried about the contacts?? If so he´ll pick them up and be a naughty! just like horses!
you could try the four on the floor method! and put a marker down bottom or make sure you proof your contacts for two on two off try throwing the toy...or say touch and leave him there!

hehehe
hi celina
I learn from the best

Val 
| Hace 9 años
editado por

Firstly never blame your dog for anything that goes wrong in the ring...You are probably behaving differently, you´re more anxious and the adrenaline is flowing big time. Shows and training are two different ´animals´ no matter what part of the world you compete in. It would really help if you could explain a bit about how you are training now. Do you train on your own without an instructor supervising you from time to time? Do you target the contacts?

| Hace 9 años
editado por

I have done targeting but as soon as the target is gone (I use a small square of clear plastic) He doesn´t do it properly. I have proofed them, and as I say, he does them at training.

I train at a club with an instructor and other people and dogs, and I do not let him get away with it in training or shows, hence why we haven´t had a clear round in ages, because I´m always putting him back on the contacts.

| Hace 9 años
editado por

do you stay with him while hes on the contacts or say touch and leave him there as you keep running and trust him to stay there?

Val 
| Hace 9 años
editado por
Val 

Okay, here´s something that some of our advanced handlers do over here. My husband also does it with the youngster he´s training now. Back to basics. Place dog on contact point, 2 on 2 off. Play tuggy with dog on contact. Put tug toy on the ground [after telling dog to wait] then release dog to the toy. Place dog just above contact point and bring down to your two on two off position...reapeat game. If you can lift your dog place higher still above contact point and bring to two on two off, repeat game but this time place tug toy further away before releasing dog. The most important command on the contact is the release command. We have just sent off for a DVD explaining how to train running contacts. Will pass on anything I think will help.

Also one peice of advice to anyone who is training agility. In training, if it keeps going wrong and you feel exasperation mounting. Stop, cuddle your dog and go get a cup of coffee, pepsi whatever.
Val

| Hace 9 años
editado por

. . . in short, if the dog finds all these stupid training taxing, deal with it! No offense meant but how important is it for animal lovers to show off and win awards for aesthetic and sports? Will the dog learn to survive abandonment and abuse? Just wishful thinking. - Lui

Val 
| Hace 9 años
editado por
Val 

This is a thread for discussing Agility training, please use another thread to voice your opinions on the activity......You may not have meant offence, but some has been taken.

| Hace 9 años
editado por

My apologies then. But not for poor animals who are made to endure it.

| Hace 9 años
editado por

I think Agility is fun. Fun for the dogs too. My dogs used to get so excited when we were training and when we went to competitions well they just had a ball. It isn´t cruel, doing Agility, its fun. The dogs wouldn´t work if they didn´t like it.

Elise 
| Hace 9 años
editado por

I haven´t done agility with my dog (she is too old to start now), but as much as i have seen and heard about it, it is fun for the dogs and for owners. It´s time for the dog and the owner to be part of something together and if it goes well, both of them are happy and enjoy the process of it. What might be better then spending time with your dog, forgetting all the worries and allowing dog to be in the center of your attention.
I am really surprised that sweepyheaven thinks bad of agility.

| Hace 9 años
editado por

Hey, if the dogs were made to "endure it" they wouldn´t get all excited the moment they see the equipment would they? And they wouldnt run the course at top pace. Just a thought

I was going to start training running contacts but I have heard they aren´t as reliable as they seem. So I´m opting to stick to the 2 on 2 off method. Training starts again tonight so we´ll see how it goes. Advice much appreciated, thanx

| Hace 9 años
editado por

you could also try four on the floor myt try that with volt!

Sammy 
| Hace 9 años
editado por

Posting in this forum has now ceased so the thread is being deactivated but will remain online for future reference. If you would like this thread reactivated than feel free to mail me. Thankyou.