Well, after 5 months of searching breed rescues, I´m really frustrated. We´ve been denied over 2 dozen times either due to the fact that we have small children (3 yo and 6 yo sons) or that we live too far away from the rescue. Almost all of the rescues I´ve contacted have been in the US (and we live in Canada) simply because we don´t have the amount of dogs needing homes like the US does. Sure...we have ALOT of homeless animals, but not nearly as many. I´ve had my name in for months at humane societies across Ontario for a mastiff or extra large dog...I thought it would be easy as XL dogs are harder to find homes for...but it´s not. I´ve talked to people that were downright rude and seemingly defensive just because I want a mastiff type dog and I have little kids! My kids grew up with our 2 Bordeauxs...they know XL dogs and I´m not worried if they get knocked down every now and then...I´m sure they´d survive!! I know the rescue people have to look out for the best interest of the dog, but to deny us a dog is idiocy at it´s best! We have the perfect lifestyle for these large, drooly, dufus dogs! We can´t have a high energy dog as I´m not able to do walks in the morning...I KNOW this is the right dog for us! Have I gotten defensive about this? Darn right I have! I must mention that one rescue did approve us and we are on a ´waiting list´...American Bulldog Rescue in Maryland is fabulous...so nice and understanding...they´re amazing if you´re looking for an American Bulldog (they also are in other States as well...check out the website). Anyways, a couple nights ago, I was on the computer once again looking at petfinder.com and I once again got fed up with the geographical restrictions for most rescues. So...I thought I would look at some Bordeaux breeders sites (just for fun)...I looked up those in Ontario (where I live) and started checking out their dogues. Of course, I had to check out the puppies pages, even though we´re not interested in a pup and want a male at least a year old. There on one of the pages was a juvenile male for sale...1 year old. They had kept 2 males from a litter with the intent of keeping one for a stud later on...when they matured a bit, they decided to keep the other and put ´Escada´ up for sale. He´s VERY handsome and I decided I had to email just to find out some info (just for fun, right??). Anyways, I scrolled down to look at his pedigree and our beloved Mambo is his great-grandfather...I just about fell out of my chair and started to cry of course! Now, as some of you know, we lost Mambo a year ago, to heart failure...something that CAN be passed down. The past couple days, I phoned our vet, Mambo´s heart specialists and mambo´s previous owner (we got him at 6 months old and they retained breeding rights until we had him neutered at 3 yo). They´ve all said the same thing - 3 generations back is quite a ways. Plus, as long as all the other dogs have had ´passing´ heart exams (which they have)...it would be OK to buy him. Large breeds are more prone to heart conditions...that´s a fact. Mambo´s sire and dam had NO history of heart problems, yet he went on to have them, so who´s to say. I´m not really sure what I´m getting at...we´re extemely excited and are hopefully going to look at him this weekend...I think I´m just trying to justify it to myself!