Title

Вы уверены?

Форум Unusual growling (13)

Unusual growling (13)

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

I have a female German Shepherd that I take nearly everywhere with me. I´ve socialized her to many different kinds of people and places and she´s never given anyone who wanted to pet her any reason not to....but the past two times we´ve been out on walks, she has nearly bitten someone...The first time we were sitting and this couple asked to pet her, nothing unusual, many people do but this time, Kaylee nearly bit the man, out of no where she showed her fangs and growled meanly.....and about a week later we were on a walk and a young woman asked to pet her, they were fine for awhile but when the girl stepped to go back to her vehicle, Kaylee lunged with a growl after her hand!

I´m now afraid to take her out on walks around other people. She never used to oppose people´s attention, she used to seek it out.
Anyone have any tips on my situation?

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

Don´t stop taking her out to see people.
But you should know that she is not a puppy anymore and she has her own mind- I mean she will choose who will pat her, not you. That´s normal that adult dogs dislike some people from no reason. My german shepherd Buck once almost attacked one man who he had never seen before. It´s up to them who they like and who they want to bite.

Helena 
Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

You should definitely continue taking her among people and watch her. If someone wants to pat your dog they should ask you first.
The change of her behaviour can be caused by approaching the heat period, it is quite common.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

I know, that in our country, here is a law that such a big dog must be on a leash and muzzled. My Caucasian shepherd had always to wear "that thing", (she hated it), not because I would not trust her, but because I could get arrested, if she did not wear it.
So it is strange for me to see, that your dog doesn´t wear it.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

Our dogs don´t have to wear it either. Only in case we know they are bad and would bite everyone but when you have a nice dog you don´t have to make him feel uncomfortable.

Miss 
Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by
Miss 

Maybe she has a protective behaviour...she wants to protect you, for...everything. Wich is very good for a dog, and for a GSD is about their instinct. You know, a german shepherd is more an utilitarian dog, than a pet. And a thing more: I don´t like someone to pat my dog. When we have guests, my Dona is closed in her paddock, is free in all the yard in the rest of time. And when we take walks, she´s not aggressive, she´s not growling...she´s curious and calm, but she´s not afectuous with someone else. After all, is my dog, and is for my protection, among other things. So, I think you should not to be worry. Your Kaylee is perfect. Be healthy!

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

I agree with Ariska. People should not pet your dog wihout permission. I have always been told not to approach dogs and wait for them to approach you instead.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

Aggression or aggressive behavior is manifested by some type of attack involving teeth that is often preceded by a warning growl or stiffening of the body, usually accompanied by ferocious snarling and blood loss. Dogs can be aggressive when defending their territory or possessions from animals or humans.
Shout your dog´s name and quickly move her out of the way when she growl again, and if she stop or listen to your command, praise her and give her a treat. She will soon realize that growling to people and not being aggressive will get her a reward.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

I would not shout or punish her--then she is likely to do away with the warning growl and go straight to the bite--I´ve (sadly) seen this happen too many times with dogs I train and it is much more difficult and dangerous when it gets to that point.

IMO the best thing to do is take her out and around people and reward her when she is well-behaved. When she starts growling or behaving aggressively-leave and ignore her or use a gentle "EH" and walk away with her. When she calms--praise and treat her then start back towards the people--still praising and treating as long as she behaves. It takes patience but it works.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

May I suggest that your dog go to an Obedience class. It will be very helpful for your dog to understand when to and when not to bite. Punishment is sometimes helpful but you should know when to execute it or how to execute it. Hope this help.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

"Shout your dog´s name and quickly move her out of the way when she growl again, and if she stop or listen to your command, praise her and give her a treat. She will soon realize that growling to people and not being aggressive will get her a reward. "

A dog can sense this attitude almost immediately - it´s how his mother acted towards her. Watch a professional trainer or a good obedience instructor. They stand tall and use their voices and eyes to project the idea that they´re capable of getting what they want. They´re gentle but firm, loving but tough, all at the same time. Most dogs are immediately submissive towards this type of personality because they recognize and respect alpha when they see it.

You´re smarter than she is and you can outthink her. You´ll also need to be more stubborn than she is. What I´m about to describe here is an "effective and non-violent method."

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

I always watch Cracker´s body language when people want to pet her. If she lowers her head or turns her head (calming signals) she is uncomfortable with the person´s approach. I ask them to wait, give them a small treat to offer her and ask them to wait for HER to approach.

We MUST always watch our dogs physical reactions to assess how they feel about the situation they are in. Some signs are very subtle that they are uncomfortable or feel threatened (BEFORE THEY GROWL HAPPENS)..it can be a slight squint of the eyes, a pulling back of the corners of the mouth (fear grimace) or a moving forward of the corners of the mouth (offensive pucker..a snap may be next!)...ears very far forward or very far back..etc etc. If the dog moves his body backwards (fear and avoidance) or shifts forward on his front legs (offensive threat) is an important signals as well. If you miss these signals the growl, snarl is next and then the snap. DO NOT punish the growl. It is a signal your dog is not comfortable and they have just as much right to their personal space as we do. If you punish the growl (as Cookie says) it removes a very important signal and the dog will just move right to the bite without a warning.

I´m not sure how old your dog is, nor if she is intact. As mentioned earlier, bitches get defensive and cranky when they are coming into heat. Also, young dogs often go through fear periods (at around 6 months and about 14 months) and at these times the socialization and positive reinforcement must be increased and worked on. They are very impressionable at this stage and scary things can affect their overall personality over time.

It is perfectly okay to say to someone that your dog isn´t comfortable with you patting her on the head or looming over her...in the dog world these are both threats. For the safety of the person and the life of your dog you need to be there to protect both from bad situations. Encourage people to stand to the dogs side and crouch down, face away, to pet their chest and neck instead of standing face on or looming over the dog.

Good luck.

ETA..I almost forgot..sudden changes in behaviour often indicate a physical problem..could she have an ear infection? Sore hips? Anything that may make her sensitive to touch? You may want to have her checked by your vet.

Цитата | 8 лет назад
edited by

Thanks so much everyone ^-^; I haven´t stopped taking Kaylee out around people, but now I make sure to keep each visit short. I think she may just get bored with the attention from people she doesn´t really know. So we accept hellos and keep moving ^-^

On another note, I never really socialized Kaylee to enough dogs while she was a puppy, and it seems to be biting me in the butt now. Kaylee, upon meeting/seeing another dog, will either ignore them, try to touch noses, or crouch down and growl.
When a dog that is ignoring her, she gets rude and mouthy, flashing her fangs and growling at them. but if the dog strains and pull to get to her, she either ignores him or hides behind me. It´s strange, if the other owner tries to let their dog meet Kaylee, she ignores them both and continues on her way but if they pull their dog away and ignore her, Kaylee makes faces and growls.
I´ve just been making her keep walking past them, no matter what her reaction. Although if she pays attention to me, (doesn´t look at the other dog or only sniffs them in passing), I praise her lavishly and if she growls, I tug the leash once, sharply and keep walking. It seems to be working, for dogs and people.
Thanks again so much everyone ^-^

Ты должен быть авторизован