Title

Are you sure?

Forum wont eat dog food (34)

wont eat dog food (34)

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Try a good quality food, the best you can afford. Cheaper food contains lots of fillers which are not very appetising to a dog.

Helena 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Master040591 - I am not sure that soya is healthy for dogs, I think it is opposite - when the soya is not processed in a certain way, it can be dangerous for dogs.

Katie 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

My Banjo use to be that way! And it was really bad because when he didn´t eat he would through up this yellow stuff! We started mixing some rice and a little bit of cheese in there and sometimes even a little bit of warm meat or even hotdog! This really got his attention! Now he is eating all his food and when Bella doesn´t finish hers he helps himself to hers to!! Good luck!!

edited by

That happens to Bruno also kdm, it´s yellow bile from him being too hungry. But even though he would be hungry, he doesn´t love eating in the morning for some reason. Then his irritable bowel would act up and make things extra noisy in his tummy.

I grate a teeny amount of parmesan cheese on his food in the morning and he can´t resist the smell, eats it all up !

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Try feeding it other dog foods it might just be the food your feeding it that he doesnt like

Quote | 9 years ago

Spinfan- The same thing happens to Ravy. We got him on a natural food called "Fresh Pet Select". He now eats! lol Even in the morning when he doesn't want to eat at all he can't resist the smell. He'll slowly drag himself out of bed to eat & then hop back in bed. ^-^ Hell, this stuff has boosted his apetite to where he will actually eat his dry food. No more tummy growls all night & no more running outside at 2-3am to throw up.

Oh that is great news bunnehdeo !  Now that Bruno has been on Natural Balance for over a year, he loves his breakfast time and there hasn't been any throwing up, borgrygmi, or diarreaha, at all.  He actually gained weight so we had to regulate things and now he's the perfect weight and so healthy !  yippeee     

Quote | 9 years ago

If its dry food you could try getting a bit of ham or chicken or any meat and cut it up and put it in with the dry food i tryed it with my dog angel and it worked

Quote | 8 years ago

I don't like dog food either
Now, seriously - what are you feeding?

Quote | 8 years ago

I used to feed my dogs just dry dog food but after all the scare of tainted dog food, I've changed their diet now for 2 years. I picked this up from someone on the internet which I thought was really good.

1. Breakfast - dry dog food 80% of recommended portion + boiled chicken with broth (10%) + chopped mixed salad( raw carrots/broccoli/ leftover vegs in the fridge)(10%)
2. Dinner - boiled beef with broth ( 40%) + kidney beans (~ 2 tablespoon) + chopped mixed salad( 30%) + brown rice (30%)
It sounds difficult and expensive but actually it is not. I buy lean beef from the butcher which is a lot cheaper and they're tough which is good for dog's teeth. I boil 10 days worth of chicken and beef and I keep them in disposable plastic containers. 3 containers for each, each container for ~ 3-4 days. I freeze the lot and defrost in the fridge as I go. I also have a container of boiled rice and chopped salad which I chill. It takes me less than 10 mins preparing their food daily, and that is only because I need to reheat the meat before feeding.
Occasionally I add crushed egg shells for calcium.
I thought my dogs would never go for raw vegs but mixed with the broth, they gulp everything! I only started this to reduce the risk of tainted dog food, but they are also so much healthier now - I can see it in their eyes and their skin. I also did a budget comparison against dry dog food and believe it or not, it is more or less the same!

Mir 
Quote | 8 years ago

My dog doesn't like dog food either. I mix wet food or broth into the dry food. Sometimes even other things like eggs, ect.

Quote | 7 years ago

same here.. my dog wont eat dog food. already visited his vet about it. told me to try wet foods. but still won't eat. what to do?

Quote | 6 years ago

Julye says

my dog wont eat dog food is there anything i can do to get him to eat it?

One of my dogs tend to be a little more picky about his dry dog food more than normal but I have found if you add a bit of low-sodium chicken stock to his food he gobbles it right up. Plus adding liquid to dry dog food helps them get the extra water that dry food doesn't contain.

Quote | 6 years ago

None of my dogs I have ever had ate more than half of the recommended amount. I think that these amounts are grossly overstated for the average pet. I feed half cup dry terrier meal with a third of a large can (the cans are approx. 380-400g) of wet food in the morning and then in the evening a half cup of of complete dry food. This is perfectly adequate for a medium size dog, who is indoors most of the time. Feeding a mixed diet like that stops the dog getting fed up with the same thing all the time. A large dog like a German Shepherd would eat about twice as much i.e. 2 cups of dry food plus some wet food or meat per day. I have no experience of small dogs, but I tend to think that they are usually overfed and bored with a monotonous diet.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now